Saturday, July 16, 2005

Hugs4SmilesUSA needs volunteers!!!!


I don't know if any of you would be interested but I am a volunteer for an organization that supports our military by adopting out soldiers/airmen/sailor etc and their families to a loving, supportive volunteer. At the moment we have quite a list of people waiting for adoptions and need more volunteers! The program requires that you send letters and two small packages to your adopted hero each month and if you adopt a family as well you send them letters and one small package each month. These "packages" can be something small like a magazine and some gum. The program is NOT anything political - there are strict rules about that. We are here for support only regardless of your stance on the war. For me, I don't agree with the war at all, but I have friends serving over there who need taking care of so this is doing my part. I adopted an Army soldier and his family - wife and three kids. We write back and forth to one another and I email his wife almost daily. My soldier has sent me pictures and money from Iraq to my kids. I send him things he misses from home like NASCAR magazines and Cheddar and Sour Cream Chips, etc. My boys draw him pictures and The Professor writes letters to him. It is great. I don't spend a lot per month either - maybe $20-$25 including postage. I visit the dollar store alot to send items to him and little things to his kids and I really take advantage of buy 1 / get 1 sales to send him things too! Their website is www.hugs4smilesusa.org Please check it out if you are interested. If at any time it gets to be too much for you and your family to support a soldier, you can cancel your adoption at any time no questions asked!


Posted By Melanie @ 8:40 AM |
Comments: Post a Comment
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: New Jersey, United States

    Mom of 4 - Nick, Jake, Alex, and Matt, Married to my best friend and other half that makes me whole, Adam. Liberal. Jersey Girl always....

    1. Adam, The Hubby, My Best Friend & True Love
    2. Nicholas, aka The Professor: tenured 9/97
    3. Jacob, aka Bam-Bam: debuted 5/01
    4. Alexander, aka Lil' Michaelangelo: creating since 8/03
    5. Matthew, aka Bun in the Oven: arrived 5/06
      Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
      Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • Autism Society of America
  • Autism Speaks
  • Hugs4SmilesUSA
  • Autism Recovery Network of Florida
  • Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
  • March of Dimes Walk America
  • The Home Designer
  • Happy Momma
  • LadyBug Crossing
  • Michele Agnew
  • Amy's Random Thoughts
  • For The Love of Peas and Monkeys
  • Valtool's Box
  • Especially Heather
  • And Miles To Go Before We Sleep
  • Our Happy Happenings
  • My Home Sweet Home
  • The Goat Rodeo
  • Not Enough Hours...
  • Sarge Charlie
  • It Coulda' Been Worse
  • My Home Sweet Home
  • braincancerbutton.png
    We're Watching You
    1. Some of my all time favorites:
    2. The DaVinci Code
    3. Angels and Demons
    4. The Lovely Bones
    5. The Five People You Meet In Heaven
    6. The Tales of the Otori
    7. All Harry Potter Books
    8. Julius Caesar
    9. Cell
    10. Misery
  • Disney
  • All Ears Net


    1. ________________
      Add this to your site


    1. Design By: