Saturday, August 13, 2005

Overwhelmed, Annoyed and so much more


My heart is breaking. I was under this severe delusion that Bam-Bam's disorder would miraculously be solved in some way once he was officially labeled Autistic and able to receive all services that that diagnosis allowed. Now in all of this research as I am in the process of all of this I find that FL sucks. Childish I know but that is the best I can do at the moment. Bam-Bam is now eligible for services being Autistic through the Agency for Person's with Disabilities Medwaiver which would pay for speech, OT and behavioral therapies for him. The catch with all this is the waiting list. The f***ing waiting list. As of right now there are over 15,500 children on this waiting list and only 1500-2000 each YEAR are moved from the waiting list to receive services. Do the math and that means at a minimum he won't receive any of these services for almost 8 years. He will be 11 years old before he receives the help he needs! Can you believe this????????????? It hit me so hard last night that my little boy might very well still be this little boy trapped at the age of 18 because the only help he will get is from the shitty school system. Which brings me to FL sucks reason #2....behavioral therapy needs to be added to his IEP, but in our county their is a shortage of behavioral therapists for the district with one therapist having to work between 4-5 schools. I have been forewarned that to get him an evaluation for the services could take a year! OMf'nG!!!!!!!!!!! I have not done anything the last few days but stared at countless websites to see what I can do for him. It looks like my options so far are to fight like hell for whatever I can get him - which will be slim pickings at best or to move to one of the top five states in the US for autism services which in order are NJ (figures I just left there years ago!), DE, MA, NY, and CT. Guess those Yankees figured out how to take care of their kids better than the rednecks here could ever do! I am so damn annoyed I just wanna hit something (or someone) to make them feel as bad as I do right now. And then to read how many times the Autism bill for insurance required coverages (yet again in May '05) has been squashed by the banking and insurance committee or the health and human services appropriations committee in the FL Senate makes me want to go up there and beat the hell out of all of them too! I am seeing red at the moment here and when it isn't red it is through tears. At a loss at the moment and staying away from things until my head is clear to deal with all of this.................


Posted By Melanie @ 9:40 PM |
Comments: Post a Comment
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: New Jersey, United States

    Mom of 4 - Nick, Jake, Alex, and Matt, Married to my best friend and other half that makes me whole, Adam. Liberal. Jersey Girl always....

    1. Adam, The Hubby, My Best Friend & True Love
    2. Nicholas, aka The Professor: tenured 9/97
    3. Jacob, aka Bam-Bam: debuted 5/01
    4. Alexander, aka Lil' Michaelangelo: creating since 8/03
    5. Matthew, aka Bun in the Oven: arrived 5/06
      Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
      Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • Autism Society of America
  • Autism Speaks
  • Hugs4SmilesUSA
  • Autism Recovery Network of Florida
  • Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
  • March of Dimes Walk America
  • The Home Designer
  • Happy Momma
  • LadyBug Crossing
  • Michele Agnew
  • Amy's Random Thoughts
  • For The Love of Peas and Monkeys
  • Valtool's Box
  • Especially Heather
  • And Miles To Go Before We Sleep
  • Our Happy Happenings
  • My Home Sweet Home
  • The Goat Rodeo
  • Not Enough Hours...
  • Sarge Charlie
  • It Coulda' Been Worse
  • My Home Sweet Home
  • braincancerbutton.png
    We're Watching You
    1. Some of my all time favorites:
    2. The DaVinci Code
    3. Angels and Demons
    4. The Lovely Bones
    5. The Five People You Meet In Heaven
    6. The Tales of the Otori
    7. All Harry Potter Books
    8. Julius Caesar
    9. Cell
    10. Misery
  • Disney
  • All Ears Net


    1. ________________
      Add this to your site


    1. Design By: