Monday, February 13, 2006

My First Monday Memories....


I have been reading these on LadyBug Crossing and thought I would attempt it as well!


Monday Memories: Did I ever tell you about Ice Cream with the Aunts???



When we were young, my sister and I spent lots of time at my grandparents house. They lived about 30 minutes south of us in New Jersey in a small everyone knows everyone else town called Pequannock. My two aunts, D and L, lived with them along with D's son Jay. So my sister, myself and Jay were always together at the house playing.

My grandparents loved to food shop. They made a day out of it. They would travel from store to store buying each sale item and their specific favorites from that store. A regular trip would take them all day Saturday. They would go from PathMark, to Shoprite, to A&P and stop somewhere along the line up at KMart which at that time had a small cafeteria in the back of the store where they would have a hotdog, fries and a soda. They would return to fill the already over-flowing cabinets in the kitchen, storage pantry in the cellar and if needed leave bags of canned food, bottles of soda, and other non-perishables in the corner of the sun porch. These were their outings and they loved them.

As we visited and stayed for the weekend, we would stay with D and L while the grandparents made their rounds at all of their favorite grocery stores. One weekend, they went out on their shopping date fairly late in the afternoon so we had dinner and then wanted to have a Make Your Own Sundae party with D and L and Jay. So we set up all of the yummy stuff all over the dining room. We had three different flavors of ice cream and lots of toppings including Hershey's syrup, sprinkles, M&Ms, nuts, cherries, etc. D and L were a bit on the mellow side so imagine my surprise when L took a heaping spoonful of chocolate ice cream and THREW it at me. Well that was it. It was a full fledged ice cream fight between the five of us. There was ice cream everywhere - dripping from the china cabinet, in our hair, all over the floor and even dripping from the lamp hanging over the table. My sister was trying to hide under the table so Jay decided to take the hershey's syrup and squirt it all over my sister's nice white sweatshirt which happened to belong to my mother! Finally my sister really became involved in the fight too and ice cream and toppings were flying across the room. When who should come through the front door to witness this havoc, shopping bags in hand???? Yes, my grandparents. They sent us (the kids) straight to the bathrooms to bathe and berated my aunts for carrying on and making such a mess. We were allowed to go watch a movie upstairs while the aunts were made to CLEAN the entire dining room alone after they admitted to starting the whole charade. Ahh...memories!

Links to other Monday Memories
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below)

  • LadyBug Crossing




  • Click here for the Monday Memories code
    Click here for Running2Ks blog


    Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!





    Posted By Melanie @ 9:28 AM |
    Comments: Post a Comment
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: New Jersey, United States

    Mom of 4 - Nick, Jake, Alex, and Matt, Married to my best friend and other half that makes me whole, Adam. Liberal. Jersey Girl always....

    1. Adam, The Hubby, My Best Friend & True Love
    2. Nicholas, aka The Professor: tenured 9/97
    3. Jacob, aka Bam-Bam: debuted 5/01
    4. Alexander, aka Lil' Michaelangelo: creating since 8/03
    5. Matthew, aka Bun in the Oven: arrived 5/06
      Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
      Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • Autism Society of America
  • Autism Speaks
  • Hugs4SmilesUSA
  • Autism Recovery Network of Florida
  • Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
  • March of Dimes Walk America
  • The Home Designer
  • Happy Momma
  • LadyBug Crossing
  • Michele Agnew
  • Amy's Random Thoughts
  • For The Love of Peas and Monkeys
  • Valtool's Box
  • Especially Heather
  • And Miles To Go Before We Sleep
  • Our Happy Happenings
  • My Home Sweet Home
  • The Goat Rodeo
  • Not Enough Hours...
  • Sarge Charlie
  • It Coulda' Been Worse
  • My Home Sweet Home
  • braincancerbutton.png
    We're Watching You
    1. Some of my all time favorites:
    2. The DaVinci Code
    3. Angels and Demons
    4. The Lovely Bones
    5. The Five People You Meet In Heaven
    6. The Tales of the Otori
    7. All Harry Potter Books
    8. Julius Caesar
    9. Cell
    10. Misery
  • Disney
  • All Ears Net


    1. ________________
      Add this to your site


    1. Design By: